The sounds of nature at night in the city versus the country are so different. To be honest I doesn’t matter what time of day it is, you can tell if you’re in the city our country just by the sounds. This morning the sound I heard reminded me I was in the country, and unfortunately it woke me up. Darn it anyway!
Sounds of the city:
- People coming and going at all hours of the night. That noise is louder in some city places than others.
- Dogs barking. Once one starts they all chime in.
- I remember hearing a car crash into a house in the middle of the night. It was a sight when we stood at the bus stop for school the next day!
Sounds of the country:
If you live on a farm, your windows are open and the cattle are in the pasture right outside your window you can hear them chewing their cud.
- A pack of hunting coyotes. Now that’s a bone chilling sound! They woke me up this morning! Darn coyotes!
- The sound of complete silence. Yep you can hear it!
- Bull frogs by the pond.
I will say though crickets when the sun goes down, & birds chirping in the morning are two sounds you hear in either place. I’m sure I’m missing many more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. Keep in mind I’m comparing suburban living around the Cincinnati area to Indiana farm country living.