I can only imagine the needs of a farmers wife whose farmer farms hundreds or thousands of acres. I’m sure many are exhausted already this season. Why would a farmers wife be exhausted you ask? Here’s why:
During planting season we get a taste of what being a single parent feels like.
- We are on call anytime our farmer is out in the field for food, parts, more seed, etc.
- We become a food delivery service when needed for lunch, dinner, and drinks for hydration.
- We run to town for parts when something breaks down, because every minute counts and it’s all hands on deck when farm equipment is down.
- If the grain farmer owns farm animals then they need to be fed.
- If the planter runs out of seed then someone has to fetch & deliver more.
- Someone has to watch the radar and become an amateur meteorologist.
- I’m sure for some they are even out on the tractor too either working the ground or planting.
Those are a few Farmer’s wife responsibilities off the top of my head and we are considered a small farm. I would venture to say big farms have a staff of people, but family farms rely on each other and everyone has responsibilities during planting season.
If you live/lived on a farm what were/are your planting season chores?